Nine Reasons to Move to Austin, Texas NOW
When people think Texas, what do they think of? Some say heat. Others, presidents and presidential candidates. Tumbleweeds. Cowboys. The Alamo.
Non-Texans don't imagine 200-year-old cypress trees towering alongside glittering Lake Austin, or the aquifer-fed greenbelts entangling Lost Creek. They don't envision rolling hills carved hundreds of thousands of years ago by receding oceans, blanketed by southern oak, pecan, evergreen, and cottonwood trees. No. Oasis is definitely not the first word that comes to mind when people think of Texas. Let alone art, music, culture, technology, or green-living.
That's why Austin is still one of the best kept secrets in Texas. And honestly, though quite a few Austinites might prefer to keep it that way, it's high time to set the record straight. Austin was voted the #1 Best City for the Next Decade (Kiplinger, 2010). Want to know the reason why? Here are nine:
- #1 Economy in the U.S. (The Business Journals' On Numbers, 2013)
- #1 City to Open a Small Business (InvestmentNews, 2013)
- Austin named America’s fastest growing city (Forbes, 2013)
- #1 Top American Boomtowns (Bloomberg News, 2013)
- Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos ranked #5 among Leading Locations of 2013 as economic front-runners from the recession (Area Development Magazine, 2013)
- #7 Best City for Women Entrepreneurs (Forbes, 2013)
- #8 of the Top 20 Metros for Venture Capital Activity (The Atlantic Cities, 2013)
- ActiveRain named Austin the #2 Top Performing Real Estate Market in 2012.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP named Austin the #2 Real Estate Market to Watch in 2012.
- Realtor.com named Austin the 2nd Best Investment Market. (2012)
- Policom Corporation named Austin the 5th strongest economy in the U.S. (2012)
- Forbes ranked Austin the #9 Best City in the U.S. for Business and Careers. (2012)
- Payscale.com ranked Austin the #2 Hotspot City for Tech Startups. (2012)
- CNN ranked Austin the #1 Most Recession-Proof City. (July 2010)
- The Brookings Institute named Austin the #3 Most Stable City. (2010)
- The Milken Institute named Austin #4 Best Economic Performer in U.S. (January 2011)
- #1 Best-Performing City- Where America’s Jobs are Created & Sustained (Milken Institute, 2013)
- #1 Best City for Job Seekers by NerdWallet.com (2013)
- #4 on America’s Thriving Cities list (The Daily Beast, 2013)
- #1 Hot U.S. City that offers both Jobs and Culture (U.S. News, 2013)
- #5 in the nation for veterans for military skill-related jobs (USAA, 2013)
- Forbes ranked Austin #1 on Best Big Cities for Jobs. (2012)
- Forbes ranked Austin #8 among Cities Where a Paycheck Stretches the Furthest. (2012)
- Rent.com named Austin the 10th Best City for College Grads. (2012)
- The Brookings Institute ranked Austin #1 in the U.S. and #26 in the World for Jobs and Income Growth During the Current Economic Recovery. (December 2010)
- Austin is the #1 Best City for Young Professionals (Austin Business Journal, March 2010)
- Forbes named Austin the #3 Best Job Market in America in 2011.
- #3 Best City to Start a Business (Nerdwallet.com, 2013)
- #6 Top City for Tech Mergers (Upstart Business Journal, 2013)
- Named one of America’s Top 20 Engineering Hubs: The Cities with the Greatest Capacity for Innovation (NewsGeography.com, 2013)
- Ranked among the 17 Coolest Co-Working Spaces In America (Business Insider, 2013)
- #9 most innovative city for American ingenuity (Business Insider, 2013)
- Austin has the Healthiest Small Business Climate in the South, according to On Numbers. (2010-2012.)
- CNBC named Texas the #1 Best State for Business in 2011.
- ForbesWoman ranked Austin #18 on Best U.S. Cities for Working Mothers in 2011.
- Austin is ranked #1 Best City for a Career by Women & Co. (2009)
- Austin is a Top Manufacturing City, according to Manufacturer News (2010)
- Best place for young adults (The Business Journals’ On Numbers, 2013)
- Travel+Leisure named Austin among America’s Best Burger Cities. (2012)
- Shermans Travel ranked Austin #1 in Top 10 Cities for BBQ. (2012)
- Named one of the South’s Tastiest Towns (Southern Living, 2013)
- #1 most Vegan Friendly city (PETA online, 2013)
- #2 best beer town in America (Matador Network, 2013)
- #1 City in America to Be Young, Broke & Single (Moneyunder30.com, 2013)
- GrubHub Inc. ranked Austin #6 on the 10 Most Vegetarian-Friendly Cities. (2012)
- Austin is #13 on Travel + Leisure Magazine's list of America's Best Burger Cities 2012.
- U.S. News named Austin #5 on "America's Best BBQ Cities." (2012)
- Hotels.com, with renowned chef Richard Sandoval, named Austin a Top Foodie City. (2012)
- Daily Beast ranked Austin #4 on "Best Cities to Find a Date in 2012."
- CBS Moneywatch included Austin on its list of 10 Best Places to Retire. (2012)
- ABC News ranked Austin as the #1 Retirement Hot Spot in the Nation. (2011)
- MapMyFitness LLC named Austin the 9th Fittest Large City. (2012)
- Forbes named Austin one of the 10 Best U.S. Cities for a Weekend Vacation. (2011)
- Enchanted Rock State Park named as one of the 7 Best Hikes in the U.S. (Fodor’s, 2013)
- Conde Nast Traveler readers rank Barton Creek and Hyatt Regency Lost Pines among the Top 2 Southern U.S. Golf Resorts (2012)
- Austin named Best City for the Outdoors (Forbes, 2009)
- In 2010, The Greenguide ranked Austin #2 Green City in US.
- According to The Mother Nature Network, Austin is among the Top 10 Greenest Cities in the U.S. (2010)
- #4 best place to raise a family (Parenting Magazine, 2013)
- Austin is the #1 Best City for a Fresh Start (Relocation.com, 2009)
- Parenting Magazine ranked Austin 2nd Best City for Families in 2011.
- It is the 4th Safest City in America, according to Travel and Leisure (2010)
- Five of the Best Elementary Schools in the U.S. are located in Austin (Great schools.org, 2011)
- The U.S. Census Bureau named Austin the 5th Most Educated City in the U.S. with 45.1% of the population having a college degree or higher.
- Austin is the Best College Town (Travel Channel, 2010)
- Austin has Seven of the Best High Schools in the U.S. (Newsweek Magazine, 2011)
- Lucky Magazine named Austin #12 on its list of the 25 Best Cities for Shopping. (2012)
- Forbes ranks Austin 12th best city for Shopping. (2010)
- Austin is the #1 Best Bargain City in U.S. (Forbes, 2009)
- Austin is a Top Retail City in the U.S. (Pitney Bowes Business Insight, 2009)
- #1 of “Best Cities in the U.S. to Live, Work, and Make Movies (MovieMaker Magazine, 2013)
- MovieMaker Magazine ranked Austin #2 on “Top Cities to be an Independent Moviemaker.” (2012)
- In 1992, Austin was knighted Live Music Capital of the World because it has more live music venues per capita than anywhere else in the nation. (Austin Visitors Bureau, 2011)
- #11 Fittest City in America and #1 fittest city in Texas, according to the latest American Fitness Index (The American College of Sport Medicine, 2013)
- Forbes names Austin Least Stressful City to Live In out of 40 metro areas (2009)
- CNN and Golf Magazine called Austin The Best Golf City in America in 2010.
- Austin ranked #2 Most Energetic Cities (Sperling's, 2011)